Public Records Requests
Public Records Act
Rainier Prep follows the Public Records Act in regards to release of its public records. According to WA State Law, public records requests must contain a reasonable amount of information in order for a Rainier Prep employee to locate the records.
How to Request Public Records from Rainier Prep
- E-Mail: email@example.com
- Mail: Rainier Prep c/o Public Records Officer, Maggie O’Sullivan, 10211 12th Ave S. Seattle, WA 98168
- Fax: (206) 494-5979
To request a public record from Rainier Prep please include the following information in your written submission:
- Your full name
- Date and time of request
- Your address
- Your phone number
- Your email address
- A detailed description of the record(s) being requested
Copies of Records
Our practice is to produce copies of records electronically, unless otherwise specified. If the requestor wishes to have copies of the records made instead of inspecting them, he or she shall make this clear in the request and arrange to pay for copies of the records or a deposit.
Exemption of public records disclosure
List of Laws Exempting or Prohibiting Disclosure Pursuant to RCW 42.56.070 (2), these procedures contain a list of laws — other than those specifically listed in the Washington Public Records Act, Chapter 42.56 RCW — which may exempt disclosure of certain public records or portions of records. Rainier Prep has identified the following laws:
- The Family Educational and Privacy Rights Act (FERPA), 20 USC § 1232g and 34 CFR Part 99 (regarding student educational records);
- Washington State Student Education Records Law, RCW 28A.605.030;
- The Individuals with Disabilities Education Act (IDEA), 20 U.S.C. § 1400 et. seq. and 34 CFR Part 300 (protecting the confidentiality of personally identifying information contained in student records of students with disabilities);
- Privileged communications and attorney work product, such as set forth in Chapter 5.60 RCW;
- Criminal Records Privacy Act (CRPA), Chapter 10.97, RCW;
- Information on students receiving free or reduced-price lunch, 42 USC § 1758(b)(6);
- Health Insurance Portability and Accountability Act (HIPAA), 45 CFR Parts 160-164 (regarding health care information privacy and security);
- Abuse of Children – Protection and Procedure, RCW 26.44.010; RCW 26.44.030(9);
- Notification of Juvenile Offenders, RCW 13.04.155(3);
- Examination questions for teachers or pupils prior to the examination, Questions, RCW 28A.635.040;
- Public Law 98-24, Section 527 of the Public Health Services Act, 41 USC § 290dd-2 (confidentiality of alcohol and drug abuse patient records);
- United States and Washington Constitutional provisions including, but not limited to, the right of privacy and freedom of association. In addition to these exemptions, RCW 42.56.070 (9) prohibits providing access to lists of individuals requested for commercial purposes, and Rainier Prep may not do so unless specifically authorized or directed by law.
The above list is for informational purposes only and is not intended to cover all possible exemptions to the Public Records Act. Under appropriate circumstances, Rainier Prep may also rely upon other legal exemptions which are not set forth above or contained within the Public Records Act.
Costs for Electronic Records
Rainier Prep typically does not charge for electronic copies of records. However, Rainier Prep does reserve the right to charge for copies of electronic records if the request causes an undue burden on the daily operations of our small school. If undue burden is found, the charges for providing electronic records will be as follows:
- Ten (10) cents per page for public records scanned into an electronic format or for the use of Rainier Prep equipment to scan the records;
- Five (5) cents per each four electronic files or attachment uploaded to email, cloud-based data storage service, or other means of electronic delivery;
- Ten (10) cents per gigabyte for the transmission of public records in an electronic format or for the use of Rainier Prep equipment to send the records electronically; and
- The actual cost of any digital storage media or device provided by Rainier Prep, the actual cost of any container or envelope used to mail the copies to the requester, and the actual postage or delivery charge.
If requested, Rainier Prep will provide a summary of the applicable charges before charges are imposed under this procedure. The requester will be allowed to revise the request in order to reduce the applicable charges. The Public Records Officer or designee will require the payment of scanning costs before providing the requested records, or the payment of the costs of scanning an installment before providing that installment.
Rainier Prep will not impose scanning charges for access to or downloading of records that are routinely posted on its website prior to the receipt of a request, unless the requester has specifically requested that Rainier Prep provide copies of such records through other means.
Costs of Printed Copies and Mailing
Fifteen (15) cents per page for all requests is the cost of providing photocopies or printed copies of electronic records in response to public records requests. Payment may be made by check or money order payable to the Rainier Prep. Rainier Prep will also charge actual costs of mailing, including the cost of the shipping container or envelope. If requested, the Rainier Prep will provide a summary of the applicable charges before any copies are made. The requester will be allowed to revise the request in order to reduce the applicable charges. The Public Records Officer or designee will require the payment of the copying costs before providing requested records, or the payment of the costs of copying an installment before providing that installment.
Access to Index of Public Records Request
Because of the tremendous volume and diversity of records continuously generated by public schools, maintaining a current index of all of Rainier Prep Public School’s records would be impracticable, unduly burdensome, and ultimately interfere with the operational work of Rainier Prep. In compliance with RCW 42.56.070, a current index of records will not be published online.
Hours of Inspection
Normal business office hours for Rainier Prep during the school year (September through May) are Monday-Thursday 8am-4pm and Friday 8am-2pm, excluding school holidays and breaks. During summer months (June-August) Rainier Prep follows a modified office schedule according to the annual school calendar and staff availability over summer break. Please consult our school calendar available on our website or contact Rainier Prep for the modified schedule during summer months.